Nov 25, 2006

"UNSTUCK"

Well, it's done. And, now that it's done, I'll tell you all about it. See, I was vague because, well, you just never know and a solo-livin' lady has to watch her ass. Anyway, the crisis pertained to my front door, and the urgency stemmed from it's sudden uselessness, inability to lock, function, etc. So, my door is attached, outfitted with new locking bling and is more secure than ever. I only lost about a pint of blood with the project. That's all. Just a flesh wound.

Anway, today is off to a lovely start. As I type, I'm touching up my magenta stripes, working, trying to plow through my email inbox, cleaning my place in bursts, and considering the outfit I'll wear a little later to a birthday soiree. Yadda, yadda, yadda...

So...

You knew it was coming. You had to have known. I saw Morrissey this week, so humor me and let me devote this edition of "If It Could Only Still Be Socially Acceptable To Make A Mix Tape, This Is What I Would Put On One This Week" Saturday to a few of my favorites of his. And, know that it is absolute torture to norrow it down to only fifteen songs and that tomorrow I would probably pick an entirely different fifteen as my favorites.

1. Suedehead/Morrissey from Bona Drag, 1990
2. You Have Killed Me/Morrissey from Ringleader of The Tormentors, 2006
3. Everyday Is Like Sunday/Morrissey from Viva Hate, 1988
4. First of The Gang To Die/Morrissey from You Are The Quarry, 2004
5. Hold On To Your Friends/Morrissey from Vauxhall and I, 1994
6. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out/Morrissey from Live At Earls Court, 2005
7. This Charming Man/Morrissey from Hatful of Hollow, 1993
8. William, It Was Really Nothing/Morrissey from Hatful of Hollow, 1993
9. This Night Has Opened My Eyes/Morrissey from Hatful of Hollow, 1993
10. November Spawned A Monster/Morrissey from Bona Drag, 1990
11. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now/The Smiths from Louder Than Bombs, 1987
12. Bigmouth Strikes Again/The Smiths from The Queen Is Dead, 1986
13. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others/The Smiths from The Queen Is Dead, 1986
14. This charming Man/The Smiths from Hatful of Hollow, 1993
15. This Night Has Opened My Eyes/The Smiths from Louder Than Bombs, 1987

And, now I am composed enough to really gush about the Morrissey show. Nothing I can say will do it justice, to be sure, but it was lovely. All of it. I was close to the stage, he played a good mix of old and new, solo and Smiths, he was humble and funny between songs, the crowd was enthusiastic and a little awestruck, and I was happy to see so many men unashamed to be sporting the Morrissey hairdo. Sigh...

I will admit, with no shame whatsoever, that I nearly cried when he sang "Everyday Is Like Sunday" and knew that was a wicked stupid thing to do, but felt a lump in my throat anyway. I can't help it. I just adore who he is and what he does and the causes he's involved in and what all of that sounds like when put together.

No comments: