Nov 24, 2006

"DOING THE UNSTUCK"

Donny: They posted the schedule...
Walter: Donny, shut the fu -- When do we play?
Donny: Saturday.
Walter: I told that fuck at the office... who's in charge of scheduling?
Donny: Berkalter.
Walter: I told that Kraut a fuckin thousand times I don't roll on Shabbos!
The Dude: Walter what are we going to do about the girl, MAN!
Donny: How come you don't roll on Saturdays, Walter?
Walter: Saturday, Donny, is the Jewish day of rest. I don't cook, I don't drive a car, I don't fucking ride in a car, I don't handle money, I don't turn the oven on, and I sure as shit DON'T FUCKING ROLL! Shomer Shabbos!
Donny: Ghheess...
The Dude: Walter...
Walter: Shomer fucking Shabbos!
The Dude: Aw, fuck it!

Soooo... there are the shomer shabbos people who follow everything to the letter on Shabbes, and then there are people who observe different aspects of Shabbes to varying degrees, and then still, there are some who don't observe any part of Shabbes whatsoever. And, I'm fine with all of it. My main concern is that anything anyone does in the name of celebrating or observing is centered around making it meaningful on their own terms.

If you do it, mean it.

I'm just not into going through the motions or half-assery, that's all. There are other places I blog about Jewish issues exclusively, so to keep it simple here on this blog, I, obviously, fall into the "observe certain aspects of Shabbes" category. I do the things that make logical sense and are meaningful to me.

And, it's a good fucking thing, too.

Without going into too much detail, I have what seems like a minor home-repair issue that has just taken a turn for the worst and become a big fucking problem. So, my usual Shabbes stuff will be unavoidably replaced by a trip to the hardware store. How re-souling!

But, surely there is meaning to be found..? I mean, I do have a pretty impressive collection of tools. And, I do like home-improvement projects...?

Anyway, if anyone needs me, I'll be slinking around the hardware store schlepping a giant pile of crap around. (Sigh...)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This isn't the radiator cover is it? Hope everything goes okay tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, sorry to hear Amy! Hope it ends up being a speedy and not terribly painful fix.

Anonymous said...

Is this a play your wrote? It's very good.

The holidays are so hectic for me at work, but I've visited you almost everyday in cyberland. How have you been?

Amy Guth said...

It's from The Big Lebowski, Jake.