Feb 24, 2008

"ALL OF THE VERY SIMPLE THINGS OF LIFE"

I heard from a friend today who I've kept up with since high school, and was sad to hear his mother died unexpectedly. I feel sad for him.

Maybe it's the numerically significant birthday on the horizon, maybe it's something else, but I've had the feeling lately that's maybe something like homesickness, but sort of for several places I've lived, and about wanting to connect and catch up with people I've not seen or heard from in years, and to touch base with the friends I've had for years and years. Luckily, I have stayed in touch from folks in the various places I've lived, and some others, thanks to MySpace and my website and such, have found me and it's been delightful to hear from them and catch-up and reconnect and such.

Perfectly corny and perfectly-timed, I heard that sunscreen song, remember it? Maybe a decade or so ago? Just randomly, on the radio this weekend. And, this lyric stuck to me perfectly; it was just what I needed to hear right then: "Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young." Isn't that so true?

No comments: