Oct 20, 2006

"FOUND FOUND FOUND"

I like YouTube. I really do. I spend my fair share of time there searching for giggles and entertainment. But, I am increasingly confused about the popularity of some clips. The most popular clip in humor today is pretty much a teenager showing his ass. So, in a stark reminder of my high school career of years ago, I again fail to find the merits in the popular. The difference, of course, is that in high school it was devastating and now it's hilarious.

No, it wasn't all that painful. I was, after all, very glad to be into swiping my folks' Bob Dylan and Beatles records and buying my well-loved cassette of Ministry's Land of Rape and Honey (and was well-into my Morrissey fanship by then, too) in lieu of the popular hits of the time: I'm Too Sexy by Right Said Fred and A Whole New World from Disney's Alladin. Oy. In Googling the popular hits from my last year of high school, I just cracked myself up. Rhythm Is A Dancer by Snap? Two Princes by The Spin Doctors? Knockin' The Boots by H-Town? Are you kidding me? I think the most popular music I had at the time was the Singles soundtrack. I listened to it again and again, but as I recall, there was some decent stuff on there. (Googles again) Alice In Chains had "Would?", Chris Cornell still had long hair, Pearl Jam still had us believing they weren't a fratty band with their "State of Love and Trust"! Screaming Trees! Mother Love Bone!

Thinking about that movie made me try to remember what other movies I was into at the time. More Googling. Batman Returns? Is that right? It is! Bram Stoker's Dracula? Man, remember that piece of crap? Having only devoured Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles a few years prior as a direct result of reading Dracula, I was beside myself with excitement to see that one, I remember. (At least even then I remember thinking Keanu Reeves ought stick to his Bill and Ted characters...) Ohhh, The Crying Game was around then, too. Wow, that was a good time. I remember, in the theater, saying, "Yeah, so what she's a he-- after all that fooling around he didn't even have an erection. That's the issue." Amy Guth, always overthinking, even as a teenager.

Well, I'm sure it comes as no surprise whatsoever that during all of this, I paraded around with elbow length black and purple hair in my Docs and ripped-up-and-safety-pinned fishnets and wore fucking gaudy chokers like it was goin' out of style. Weirdly, it seems like both a lifetime ago and not so long ago at all.

4 comments:

AL RULES said...

i remember the singles soundtrack well. i love the song by paul westerberg on there... i think its called "waiting for somebody" not quite sure... fuck it... i am going to go and see if i can pull it out of the archives...

ps. shirt's in the mail...
pss. what the fuck is wrong with right said fred??? ;)

Amy Guth said...

Hello! No need to be so modest, dear Al. Everyone meet Al, maker of some really superior t-shirts, one of which you'll start seeing me in at readings, at shady nightclubs and entering wet t-shirt contests. Okay, not the last two, but certainly at readings. And, it's going to be so awesome that you're going to want to order one of his great t-shirts, too. Which Al is apparently too sexy for. :)

AL RULES said...

i wouldn't go so far as to say I am too sexy for my shirt... pants? definitely. but shirt??? not so much...

and you are far too kind. just knowing one of my shirts is being worn by such a talent makes it all worth while.

ALT - [f r a m e s] said...

No idea how I came across the blog, but Flickr was somehow involved. Still, I am glad I did 'cos it's pretty funny.

Anyway...yeah music in high school sucked. I remember weekend parties in which KLM would be blasting. Or Boyz II Men. Being from D.C., I was a Fugazi and Minor Threat clone. Still though: fun times.