Nov 10, 2006

"LATE NIGHT, MAUDLIN STREET"

Good morning (ish) from TeaLuxe, again.

(Look everyone, I made a point to not wear my purple scarf last night!)



This is Improv Jones and they are a wonderfully funny team here in Providence. And, as you can see, they are scandalized by my Three Fallen Women. But, I'm getting ahead of myself.



Providence is a blast. I am going to go ahead and say that thus far in my book touring advenures, tonight has been my favorite night. In fact, today has been a pretty fantastic day, truth be told, so I'll start from the beginning.

I did Julian's for brunch and loved their house ketchup. Then I drove around a bit and explored and whimpered over the Brown campus and felt nostalgic for the cute little New Englandy streets and houses.







Then, I spent the rest of the afternoon at the RISD Museum, which I really enjoyed. Especially the Wunderground exhibit of Providence Protest posters 1995-2005, the Nan Golden photographs and the drawings of Kathe Kollwitz.

Then, I got myself in order and headed down to Symposium Books where I met one friendly face after another.



The reading went wonderfully. The crowd was great. Many books were sold. Friends were made. Paper was thrown. Excellent questions were asked. All in all, a very good reading.







After the reading, we headed over to grab a burrito (put Chipotle burritos to fucking shame!) at the taqueria inside of a live/work art space, AS220. The time there was underscored with a "Songs in the Key of Hip Hop" open mic sort of thing, which provided endless entertainment, though not always on purpose, perhaps. The Perishable Theater was next door, which is home to the previously mentioned Improv Jones, so that was the next stop. Great show, nice people. If you're in the area, an Improv Jones show shouldn't be missed. After they humored me and posed for the great group pic up there earlier in this post, my next stop was L'Elizabeth a bar that was somewhere in the middle of a love-triange between a cozy New England bar, a tea party and a dollhouse in an eccentric great aunt's attic.

Today, I'm heading to Newport. More on that later, skaters.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! So glad it was a great reading.

Drive safe!

Anonymous said...

Yay!! Happy, happy Amy!! What a great and well-deserved week.
BTW, I am so relieved to see you without the scarf. I didn't want to say it, but it makes you so...well, writerly. ;)

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know, that cool house in your picture once belonged to Ambrose Burnside. Famous as a civil war general and governor and senator from RI, he is most remembered now for his crazy facial hair which led to the term sideburns. That's one to grow (hair) on.

Anonymous said...

Wicked awesome.

Nicky said...

Wow! I want to know who Anonymous was who knew the origin of the word sideburns! Is he a local?

Nicky said...

Oh. And, Amy, it was awesome. Thanks for coming through our neck o'the woods.