Jun 6, 2006

"THE BOY WITH THE THORN IN HIS SIDE"

I'm working on this feature piece tonight and when I am doing research, I tend to let myself Google-wander around and just find whatever I find. A series of Google searches led me to Julia Serano and it was with great interest I read her SwitchHitter section, an older collection something like journal entries discussing gender identity, gender expression and transgender/genderqueer issues in such an intelligent and informative way. I was especially moved by the thoughtfully-written, honest account of her personal experience with her partner, Dani, and steps towards/feelings about sex reassignment surgery.

On a less-serious note, I live on a busy street and sometimes, when weather permits, I crack my windows and enjoy the urban white noise. Tonight, I heard a young man on a cellphone passing on the sidewalk below. I heard: "It's 666 today, bitch. You'd better get your muthafuckin' ass right with g-d and shit or you'll get all effed up with devils, Yo." I like how he used "effed", especially in that context and I like to think about the person he was addressing. Hmmm...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a mailing list? Will you announce your book tour dates on your website or here on you blog? I don't want to miss out. Please come to Seattle!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to Camp Trans, I really hope to check it out this summer.

Anonymous said...

I heard a rumor you might be at Camp Trans this year...?